Waste management is the name assigned to the collection, transportation, disposal or recycling and monitoring of waste. Thus waste management includes the activities and actions required to manage waste from its inception to its final disposal. The term waste denotes the waste material that is produced through the varied activities of human beings. Waste can be solid, liquid or gaseous and each type has different methods of disposal and management. Waste management deals with all types of waste, including industrial, biological and household. In some cases, waste can pose a threat to human health. Thus the waste material is managed to avoid its adverse effects over human health and environment. Not only that, waste management is intended to reduce adverse effects of waste on planetary resources and aesthetics, too. Proper management of waste is important for building sustainable and liveable cities. Operating this essential municipal service requires integrated systems that are efficient, sustainable and socially supported.
PRINCIPLES OF WASTE MANAGEMENT :
An important approach to waste reduction is through the 3Rs of waste management – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
• Reduce – Reduce means to simply create less waste. It’s the best method for keeping the environment clean and hence it is first of the 3Rs. Making less waste to begin with means there is less usage of paper and plastic bags. Not buying bottled water, being a little conscious about the packaging before buying a product can go a long way to reduce waste generation.
• Reuse – Reusing is taking old or unwanted items you might throw away otherwise and finding a new use for them. Giving old clothes to others, sharing old toys, finding new use for old items, having a garbage sale; can all help in the process of reusing.
• Recycling – Recycling is the last and yet most commonly used of the 3Rs. Recycling is changing discarded materials into new products in order to avoid using more virgin resources. One example is old newspaper. It is one of the easiest and most recycled materials. Old newspapers get turned into egg cartons, paper plates, construction paper, paper bags and so on.
METHODS OF WASTE DISPOSAL :
Owing to the globalisation and rapid industrialisation, the need for efficient waste disposal is increasing with every passing day. Some of the methods that are used often include
• Landfill – In this method, the waste that cannot be recycled or reused are spread out as a thin layer in low-lying areas across a city.
• Incineration – This is the process of controlled combustion of garbage to reduce it to ash and waste gas.
• Waste compaction – The waste materials such as cans and plastic bottles are compacted into blocks and sent for recycling.
• Biogas generation – Biodegradable waste ( like food items) are sent to biodegradation plants. There, they are converted to biogas by degradation with the help of bacteria, fungi or other microbes.
• Composting – The process of composting starts with organic wastes being buried under layers of soil and then are left to decay under the action of microorganisms.
• Vermi-composting – Vermi-composting is the process of using worms for the degradation of organic matter into nutrient-rich manure.
WASTE MANAGEMENT SERVICE BY KFM PVT LTD :
Kolkata Facilities Management Private Limited, one of the foremost leading Facility management organisations in kolkata, offers a wide range of services to its clientèle. Of the myriad facility management services offered by us, waste management service is one of the most important. We, at KFM Pvt Ltd, provide customisable, strategic and economically viable waste management related services. So just pick up the phone in case you face any problem with waste management. We are just a call away!