One needs a device like laptop or smartphone or some other electronic device to read an ebook.
Ebook is a term, that was not so common in our vocabulary, even a decade ago. Book meant traditional books with their printed pages and beautiful covers. With rapid advancement of science, everything started becoming digitalised. So, could books be far behind? Thus came the concept of ebooks or electronic books. An ebook is a book in electronic format. In other words, it is book publication made available in digital form and consists of texts, images or both and is readable on flat panel display of computers or other electronic devices.
It is downloaded to a computer, PC, Mac, laptop, tablet, smartphone or any other kind of reading device and is read on the screen. Although sometimes defined as ” an electronic version of a printed book “, some books exist without a printed equivalent. With ebooks, users can browse through titles online and when they select and order the titles, the ebook can be sent to them online or the user can download the ebook. It is very simple to purchase/download ebooks through internet. After payment, you will either be directed to a download page or receive the download link in an email. Now all you have to do is click on the link and the ebook will automatically be downloaded to your computer, to a folder of your choice.
ADVANTAGES OF EBOOKS :
Ebooks offer many benefits and some of them are
• Instant availability – Ebooks are delivered almost instantaneously. You can purchase, download and start reading them within minutes, without even leaving your chair. You don’t need to go to a bookstore or wait for a long time for its arrival.
- Reduces destruction of trees – No trees are required to be sacrificed to manufacture paper for the pages of ebooks.
- Information is handy – When you need certain information from a certain book, you can get it immediately, by downloading a ebook.
- Less space – Ebooks take up less space. You actually don’t need any space to store them and thus don’t need bookshelf or a library or a seperate room.
• Easily portable – Ebooks are very easily portable. You can carry hundreds of books with you on CD, in a laptop, smartphone or any ebook reader. You do not need to worry about its weight and hence very convenient to travel with.
• More interactive – Ebooks can be interactive and contain audio, video and animation, which can enhance the message that the author is trying to convey.
DISADVANTAGES OF EBOOKS :
Irrespective of the various advantages, there are certain disadvantages of ebooks, too.
• Staring at the screen for a long time – For all those whose work demands them to stare at a screen all day, reading an ebook is a huge disadvantage because that too needs the same thing. Strain, from staring at screens for too long, has become quite a health problem.
• You don’t get “Book satisfaction” – Those who have grown up with traditional books find a different kind of satisfaction while holding a book and turning its pages. One cannot obtain this “book satisfaction” while reading an ebook.
• You need a device – One needs a device like laptop or smartphone or some other electronic device to read an ebook. This is a disadvantage because not everyone can afford a proper device to read ebooks.
• Ebooks can damage sleep and health – Some researches show that a back-lit e-reader ( an ebook reader or an ebook device) lead to poorer quality of sleep, thus making a person more tired the next morning. Thus ebooks can harm a person’s health by damaging sleep.
• Greater chance of piracy – With ebooks, your file can be easily emailed to someone living thousands of miles away. Moreover, someone can place it in a public server for anyone to download. Thus there are increased chances of piracy.