Language is the prime medium of communication. Thus, learning languages can open up the world for you. The world, at present, is going through several dynamic changes and they are occurring at a fast rate. In today’s increasingly interdependent and interconnected world, mastering language skills gives one the opportunity to engage with the citizens of the world in more meaningful and productive ways. People who have proficiency in more than one language have improved memory, problem-solving and critical thinking skills, enhanced concentration, ability to multitask and better listening skills. There are several benefits of learning multiple languages.
BENEFITS OF BEING PROFICIENT IN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES :
• Staying connected – One of the most rewarding aspects of being human is the ability to connect with others. Bilinguals or those having mastery over many languages have a unique opportunity to communicate with a wider range of people in the personal and professional lives. They can make friends easily.
• Helps in advancement of career – No matter which sector you work in or your skill level, knowing multiple languages gives you an edge over your mono-lingual peers. They are among the top eight skills required for all occupations. Thus the demand for bilingual professionals is increasing exponentially.
• Helps in brain development – The several cognitive benefits of learning languages are unquestionable. People who speak more than one language have improved memory, problem-solving and critical thinking skills, enhanced concentration, ability to multitask and better listening skills.
• Boosts confidence – Learning a new language means putting yourself out there and moving out of your comfort zone. Once you achieve that, it gives an amazing sense of accomplishment, particularly when you converse with someone in their native language. This boosts your level of confidence, too.
• Opens up opportunities – Learning a new language opens up additional doors to opportunities for studying or working abroad.
SOME TIPS TO TO HELP YOU IN THE PROCESS OF LEARNING :
Learning a new language is an uphill task. The process can be so overwhelming that you may not even know where to begin. However, mastering an additional language can open up a lot of opportunities. Following are some tips from the top language experts in the world, that will help you in the process of learning a new language –
• Do not worry about not understanding everything. Try and guess the things you don’t know, from the context.
• Stay consistent with your study and try to carve out some time every single day. Stick with it and with time you will understand the benefit.
• Spend most of your time ” in ” the language, not learning about the language. We acquire languages at a subconscious level when we get sufficient input and practice.
• Use the language as often as possible. Do it at your own pace. Read articles and check dictionaries. Listen to radio and television. Talk to anyone in that language in every possible opportunity.
• Have imaginary conversations in your head using the vocabulary you are learning. Toss it in your mind whenever possible – on the way to the work, in the gym, in your car, etc.
• Apart from learning and listening, in advanced stages, also read and write as much as you can.
• Abandon all fear and internal doubt. When you start to learn a new language, your mind will constantly doubt itself. But never let that get the better of you. Set goals strategically and with time, you will master the language.