Body language can be defined as the conscious and unconscious movements and postures by which attitudes and feelings are communicated. It is a type of non-verbal communication in which physical behaviours, as opposed to words are used to express or convey the information. Such behaviour includes facial expressions, body postures, gestures, eye movement, touch and the use of space. Although body language is a very important aspect of communication, it mostly happens without conscious awareness. However, if we use it a little consciously and deliberately, it can yield several benefits. Business success is also largely dependent on this because business relationships are built on communication. Body language is a strong contributing factor to how others perceive you, in both positive and negative light. Body language in business sets the foundation for people to communicate with others on a deeper level. Be it your facial expressions or your body movements, these things can convey some of the largest volumes of information.
WHAT DOES BODY LANGUAGE CONVEY? :
According to the several studies as well as opinions of several psychology experts, body language might even have a bigger impact on a crucial business conversation, than the words that you choose. Sometimes actions do speak louder than words. When it comes to using body language for business, here are some of the most crucial characteristics that one can convey through individual non-verbal cues –
• Confidence – Entrepreneurs and business leaders project confidence in the way they hold themselves i.e through their body language.
• Assertiveness – Assertiveness is a very crucial aspect in business communication, that is projected through body language.
• Interest – Communication works best when everyone is interested in what the other person is doing. Showing an active interest indicates professionalism.
• Intelligence – Body language methods can make people seem more intelligent. Schooling your face not to show confusion during a complicated situation can really go a long way.
• Empathy – Professionals who can understand and respond to the emotional needs of their colleagues and customers can have the best chance of thriving in today’s competitive market place. Thus showing empathy with body language is a good gesture.
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR BODY LANGUAGE? :
Be it a business leader looking for business success or entrepreneur teaching body language skills to team members; use of proper body language can enhance your chance of success. Here are some tips on how to improve body language –
• Focus on posture – Posture is crucial when it comes to demonstrating things like confidence and assertiveness. Open stances like open arms, straight spines, and no crossed limbs give a positive image.
• Address your facial expressions – A smile is a crucial part of body language in business. Smiles instantly remove some of the friction from any conversation. Practice an active control on your facial expressions.
• Be sure to make eye contact – Eye contact is another important element when it comes to body language in business communication. Proper eye contact indicates that you are giving the other person your full attention.
• Practice your handshake – Many business experts opine that a handshake reveals a lot about a person. Firm grip, warm hand, measured pressure are some of the attributes of a good handshake. Everytime you meet with prospective clients, boss or even a colleague, your handshake will help them to make a snap judgement about you.