Health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being in which disease and infirmity are absent. Achieving and maintaining health is an ongoing process, shaped by the evolution of healthcare knowledge and practices, as well as personal strategies for staying healthy. Generally, people confuse good health with being free of any kind of illness. While it may be a part of the situation, it is not entirely what good health is all about. For instance, if you are constantly eating junk food yet you do not have any disease, it does not make you healthy. Thus for being truly healthy, one needs to resort to healthy lifestyle. If you are healthy, you probably have a strong immune system and your body can fight against bacteria or viruses easily. There is no doubt that health is our real wealth. The material wealth that we accumulate and pile is nothing when compared to health. In the current scenario of worldwide pandemic COVID-19, staying healthy and boosting immunity should be our topmost priority.
STEPS TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LIFE :
In order to be healthy and enhance immunity, one needs to acquire and maintain a healthy lifestyle. A healthy life style demands consistent habits and disciplined life. In turn, good health can decrease the risk of developing certain conditions like heart diseases, stroke, some cancers, injuries, diabetes, etc and ensures natural immunity.
• Eating healthy : What you eat is closely linked to your good health. Balanced nutrition has many benefits. A healthy diet can help you lose weight, lower cholesterol, enhance immunity, etc. Whole plant foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes are rich in nutrients and anti-oxidants, which raise immunity.
• Exercising regularly : Routine exercise is very good for health and immunity. It can uplift your mood and keep your weight under control. Remaining active for 30 to 60 minutes a day can really work wonders for you. Remember that any amount of exercise is better than none.
• Losing weight in case you are over-weight : Being over-weight increases the risk for several ailments like high block pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart diseases, stroke, some cancers, etc, which in turn weakens our immune system. Another common problem is arthritis in the weight-bearing joints such as your spine, hips or knees. There are several things one can do to lose weight like Gym, Yoga, Aerobics, Zumba, etc. Also, we need to curb our sugar intake.
• Not smoking or using tobacco : Smoking and tobacco are harmful habits. They can cause several health hazards. The sooner one quits, the better.
•Sleeping sufficiently : Sleep plays a very important role in our physical and mental wellbeing. It is as important to our health as eating, drinking and breathing. It allows our body to repair our heart and blood vessels and our brains to consolidate our memories and process information. But most importantly it strengthens our natural immunity. Most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function their best.
• Staying hydrated : Hydration does not necessarily protect us from germs and viruses, but preventing dehydration is crucial to our overall health.
BOOSTING IMMUNITY SYSTEM :
On the whole, our immunity system does a remarkable job of defending us against disease-causing micro organisms. But sometimes it fails. The idea of boosting our immunity is enticing but there are no guaranteed methods to do so. Thus, following general good health guidelines is the single best step we can take towards naturally keeping our immune system strong and healthy. At this juncture, when the whole world is fighting the Pandemic COVID-19, there is an urgent emphasis on enhancing our immunity. Because according to a study of survivors of SARS, about 90% had functional, virus-neutralising antibodies. These observations lead us to believe that a healthy body and strong immune system can make us better equipped to fight this worldwide pandemic COVID-19.